The Time Gem, also known as the Time Stone, is one of the six Infinity Gems. A relic that contains and governs all of the progress of events in the universe, the Time Gem is a supremely dominating artifact that can influence Time, at the potential cost of fracturing a timeline or trapping its user in an infinite time loop. Its power is tied to the Masters of the Mystic Arts, who have secretly used it throughout history to influence events to the betterment of mankind's survival.
Long ago, there existed a pre-creation God that embodied several aspects of the universe. As time passed, this being became lonely, until it reached a point that it could no longer bear eternity and committed suicide. Its death was violent, producing a tremendous explosion of the separate aspects it represented.
One of these aspects was Time: the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future. Eventually, this aspect as well as the others were discovered by the Elders of the Universe, and were gathered and forged into concentrated ingots. The one that contained the passage of events of the universe became the Time Gem.
The Time StoneEditOver time, the Time Gem and the other Gems were altered into their present form. The Time Gem, which was formerly a smooth orange oval gem, became a rock glowing with a green light, and was remembered as the Time Stone.
The Eye of AgamottoEdit
At some point, the Time Stone ended up on Earth, where it was eventually discovered by a practitioner of the Mystic Arts: the human sorcerer remembered in legend as Agamotto, who came upon the stone while collecting knowledge and power of various sources. In order to safely harness the energies of the Time Stone, Agamotto created a containment device through which he could access its power without direct risk, though still had to learn to control its use or suffer immense temporal consequences.
Agamotto would then use the construct, which is remembered as "Agamotto's Eye," to fight off various threats to Earth and found the Masters of the Mystic Arts, a group that dedicated themselves to protect humanity from mystic threats. After building the Sanctums to protect Earth, Agamotto only made use of the Eye's power in all but the most dire circumstances, before eventually restricting himself to only look forward to the future and predict catastrophies, so as to act accordingly to prevent them.
Shrouded in SecrecyEdit
In order to protect the nature of the Eye's power, Agamotto forged another artifact which also became known as the "Eye of Agamotto." To distinguish the two, Agamotto would refer to the Time-controlling artifact as the "Eye of Time," while naming the other artifact the "Eye of Light." While the Eye of Time was the construct containing the Time Stone and harnessed its temporal might, the Eye of Light instead projected a light that could, among other things, see through disguises and illusions, probe the minds of others, and weaken evil powers. While the Eye of Light became restricted to the highest members of the order, the Eye of Time was erased from all knowledge. Kept in the most secured vault within the Kamar-Taj, Agamotto forbade any knowledge of the Eye of Time outside of the highest in the order, with usage restricted to the Sorcerer Supreme. He did, however, permit the librarian Cagliostro to study the artifact and record its power and how to control it within his book.
Use by the Sorcerer SupremeEdit
Throughout the remainder of history, The Book of Cagliostro remained the only tome on Earth to ever have any record of the Eye of Time. Whoever was made the Sorcerer Supreme remained the only individual permitted with accessing the Eye of Time and using it, though their responsibility to uphold the stability of all things restricted them to only harness its power when absolutely necessary, as even tapping into its incredible power for a mere moment risked the possibility of damaging the fabric of reality, among other incomprehensible side effects. The typical usage of the Eye of Time would be to glimpse into the future, to view a possible threat so that the Masters of the Mystic Arts can act to end the threat before it begins.
DescriptionEditThe Time Gem was originally smooth and shaped like an oval, only 2 inches long from top to bottom. It was colored orange, and all the powers and energies associated with its use were also colored orange.
Over time, the Time Gem was transformed into its current form, known as the Time Stone. It changed into something more like a rock, and became green in color. As time passed, one of its former users decided to shape it into a smoother oval form.
Containment DeviceEditThe Eye of Agamotto, also known as the Eye of Time, is the name given to the storage unit used to house the Time Stone. It was created by Agamotto, the first Sorcerer Supreme, and has been kept by the Masters of the Mystic Arts within the deepest vault of Kamar-Taj. It has been used by those that held the title of Sorcerer Supreme, who is charged with protecting the powerful artifact as well as using it in only the most dire of circumstances to protect the Earth from mystic threats.
The Time Stone embodies the universal aspect of Time. It can be seen as a sort of dial, a control unit for any and all of Time, the ongoing occurrence of events, within the universe; as such, it provides its wielder access to various means of manipulating the passage of time through history to infinite levels. This can be applied in a number of different ways.
At its most basic level, the Time Stone allows its user to observe events that occur outside their current point in Time.
- Past Vision: The Time Stone lets its user look back in time within the past, and see any event that has already occured in history.
- Present Vision: The Time Stone lets its user observe an event as it is occurring in the present, seeing what is going on at their same time.
- Future Vision: The Time Stone lets its user view what is going to happen towards the future, seeing anything that will occur after a set amount of time.
Even at low-level use, the Time Stone grants its user a significant advantage by subtley influencing the passage of time to their will.
- Time-Slow: The Time Stone can minimally reduce the speed of time's passage in reference to the user, giving the illusion that the wielder has enhanced reflexes; gaining a better "reaction time" by increasing the amount of time the user has to react.
- Time-Speed: The Time Stone can minimally increase the speed of time's passage in reference to the user, giving the illusion that the wielder has reduced reflexes; this allows the wielder to perceive events in a reduced time-frame, by seeing things in "fast-forward."
The Time Stone, having power over all of time, allows its user to view and access their singular Timeline as well as a variety of others.
- Timeline Creation: The Time Stone can create an entirely new Timeline, either branching out of a current Timeline or a completely new one, complete with a full occurrence of events with an entire history of past, present and future.
- Timeline Alteration: The Time Stone can change events that happen within a set Timeline, allowing the future to be changed by shifting any single or multitude of events within its past.
- Timeline Deletion: The Time Stone can erase any Timeline, either in portions by getting rid of past history, present occurrences, or potential futures and therefore making that Timeline finite, or completely wiping out all events in the Timeline to full deletion, causing everything that ever happened within to cease to exist.
The Time Stone, the ultimate medium in controlling time, has the ability to change the way time flows.
- Time Slow: The Time Stone can cause time to slow down, decreasing the speed in which events occur, enabling the user to observe events in slow motion and react accordingly.
- Time Stop: The Time Stone can completely halt time by reducing the speed of time passage to zero; this time freeze allows its user to affect objects and beings without consequence, as they are frozen in time and do not move or react until time resumes.
- Time Speed: The Time Stone can cause time to speed up, increasing the rate that events occur, allowing the user to "fast-forward" events in fast motion to their desires.
- Time Reverse: Normally, time flows forward towards the future; The Time Stone can cause time to flow backwards by changing the rate of passage to occur in negative order. This allows them to "rewind" time towards the past, undoing any events that occurred within a Timeline and returning them to a previous state.
The Time Stone can affect the passage of time for singular objects and beings outside of their Timeline to affect their age.
- Age: The Time Stone can change the age of an item or creature, setting it at a point of existence further along its Timeline, effectively making it older. This can be done from a small effect to a drastic point that they become too old to support themselves or crumble to dust.
- Age Acceleration: The Time Stone can increase the rate that an item or creature ages, fast forwarding its passage of time in reference to its Timeline. This forces the individual item or creature to age faster, reaching its end state sooner than it would naturally.
- Age Decceleration: The Time Stone can decrease the rate that an item or creature ages, slowing down its passage of time in reference to its Timeline. This allows the individual item or creature to age slower, reaching its end state later than it would naturally.
- Age Halt: The Time Stone can stop the rate that an item or creature ages. This essentially grants it immortality, though only through the effect that it cannot die or cease to exist by the passage of time alone.
- De-Age: The Time Stone can change the age of an item or creature, setting it back at a certain point of its history, effectively making it younger. This can be done from a small effect to a drastic point that they cease to exist, as they are put past the point they were ever created.
- De-Age Acceleration: The Time Stone can increase the rate that an item or creature ages in reverse, fast rewinding its passage of time in reference to its Timeline. This forces the individual item or creature to grow younger at a fast speed.
- De-Age Decceleration: The Time Stone can decrease the rate that an item or creature ages in reverse, slowing down the speed in which it rewinds in reference to its Timeline. This slows how fast it grows younger.
The Time Stone can transport its user to any point in time instantaneously.
- Travel to the Past: The Time Stone can transport its user to any place in time within the past, putting them in a select reference point in history that has already happened. This allows them to alter an event to change the present or future, which has become their collective future from their point of view.
- Travel to the Present: The Time Stone can transport its user to their "present point" from any place in time within the past or future, returning them to their originating destination. This allows them to see the effects of changes in the past, or return to a previous point before the changes made to the future have occurred.
- Travel to the Future: The Time Stone can transport its user to any place in time within the future, putting them in a select reference point in a history that has yet to occur from their perspective. This allows them to view events that are going to happen from their past or present course, which has become their collective past from their point of view.
- Travel to Alternate Timelines: The Time Stone can transport its user outside their current Timeline and place them within another. Within this alternate time, the Time Stone can place them anywhere along its history, within a perceived Past, Present, or Future.
The Time Stone allows its user to summon objects or creatures from various points in the Past or Future.
- Past-Duplication: The Time Stone grants its user the ability to call upon any item or being from the past and transport it to the present. This runs the risk of erasure, as if a past version of something is destroyed, all subsequently future variations cease to exist.
- Future-Duplication: The Time Stone grants its user the ability to call upon any item or being from the future and transport it to the present. This runs the risk of erasure, though only for future variations from the point of that future duplicate.
The Time Stone can take a set amount of time from one item or individual and transfer it to another for various effects.
- Time Theft: The Time Stone can take a certain amount of time from something, decreasing the time it has left to exist, to be transferred to the user or some other thing to increase the time it has to exist.
- Time Bestowal: The Time Stone can take a certain amount of time from its user, decreasing the time they have left to exist, to be transferred to some other thing to increase the time it has to exist. This can be used in reverse of Time Theft, giving back any time that was stolen from it.
The Time Stone can fold the flow of time back on itself to a previous reference point, locking it in to create a Time Loop.
- Time Loop Creation: The Time Stone can create a Time Loop to occur between two select events within the flow of time; this generates a standard passage of time from point A, the starting point, to end at part B and repeat starting back at point A.
- Time Loop Manipulation: While within a Time Loop, the Time Stone can affect all events within as normal, speeding up, slowing down, stopping, or reversing the passage of time, aging and de-aging, and other manipulations of time. This allows them to alter the effects of time within the Loop. Additionally, the Time Stone can set the Time Loop to occur a set number of times, either finite or repeating infinitely throughout eternity.
- Time Loop Erasure: The Time Stone can dismiss a Time Loop, deleting the repeating point B from sending events to go back to point A and erasing point A to allow the possibility of returning to the past to return.
The Time Stone can transport its user outside the plane of time itself, allowing them to view and interact with it as a tangible field like the standard three dimensions.
- Time-Ascension: The user of the Time Stone can exist outside the passage of time; no longer bound by the ongoing occurrence of events, they are able to see all things from the farthest point in the past to the farthest point in the future. They are able to access any point of it at will, and can see all past, present and future at once.
- Time-Return: The user of the Time Stone can return to the boundaries of time at any point, resuming a state of being affected by the passage of time. From here, they view things as normal, existing within the fourth-dimension and being bound by it.
Once the Time Gem became the Time Stone, it seemingly lost its controlled quality and became highly unstable. Therefore, anyone that attempts to access its power suffers the risk of being overwhelmed and obliterated by this power. This can have a variety of negative effects for users and those nearby. As time is incredibly difficult to control and is particularly fragile when constrained by great force, the first thing that happens when the stone's use goes wrong is the fragmentation of the fabric of time and reality; time will typically begin to crack and split off into numerous variations that get worse as time goes on or the use of its power is continued. From here, the loss of control could possibly result in unstable openings and breaks in the space-time continuum, spatial paradoxes, time loops, or even complete deletion of the user from existence.
Overall, the Time Stone allows its user the full control over time, from all points of history in any past, present, or future of any timeline, and control over the rate at which time flows, from speeding up to slowing down, stopping, and even rewinding time, and containing the passage of time in an ongoing loop.
- Collectively, the "Eye of Time" and the "Eye of Light" can be referred to as the "Eyes of Agamotto."